When homeowners need crawl space repair they often will research on the internet for do-it-yourself methods. There is a lot of good information out there and some not so good information. Unprofessional crawlspace repair is most often a temporary fix to a big problem.
Here are just a few of the common crawl space repair mistakes:
- Adding more foundation vents to the crawlspace in an effort to dry the high moisture content in their crawlspaces. People assume that air circulation forces the moisture in the crawl space outside. However, warm, humid outdoor air brought into the crawl space through foundation vents in the summer can lead to increased moisture levels in the crawlspace. Also, the air movement in a home does not move side to side through the vents, but upwards. This draws air inward from every crawl space vent and up into the living space of the home.
- Spraying foam on a wet or damp crawlspace foundation wall. Because the wall is damp the spray foam will become separated from the wall from the moisture intrusion.
- Insulating a damp crawlspace with fiberglass insulation. This is simply traps the moisture in creating a breeding ground for mold.
- Improper drainage system installations can cause more problems than you started with. Many crawlspaces have water standing on the ground floor after heavy rains. A sump pump alone cannot pump all the water that pools around the perimeter or in the middle of the crawlspace. A perimeter drain is necessary to intercept the water and facilitate it to the pump.
- Insulating Heat Ducts in a Crawlspace with Fiberglass will cause condensation and the fiberglass will soak up all the excess water causing mold to grow around the duct in the fiberglass.
If you need crawl space repairs in Louisville, KY call the experts at Best Basement Waterproofing today for a free consultation.