Toxic black mold provides a significant danger in any home. Unfortunately, it can form fairly easily, as can other types of mold.

Given the right conditions, this toxic mold can invade your Louisville, Kentucky home in as little as 24-48 hours and then spread very rapidly.

So how can you as the homeowner prevent mold from spreading and creating a health hazard to your family? First, the source of the mold must be identified and then a mold treatment process can be administered.

In Louisville, KY Best Basement Waterproofing can perform a free inspection to assist in locating the reason why mold is growing in your home.

Mold Treatment Process

We recommend having a professional mold removal company inspect and treat your home. Mold removal is no joke, it is essential for the health of your family that it’s ALL removed and that no traces are left behind, otherwise the mold will return and continue to pose a risk to you and your families health.

There are some DIY mold treatments that you can help in the interim while you wait for a professional. Fill a spray bottle with basic over the counter hydrogen peroxide and water.

While wearing a dust mask, spray the mold with a generous amount of solution. After letting the solution soak for about 30 minutes, scrub the mold vigorously with a thick sponge. Don’t forget to wear a dust mask and rubber gloves! Repeat this process every few days for a couple weeks. 

Does  Mold Treatment Work?

It is important to note that this mold treatment is not a permanent solution to your mold problem, but a temporary solution to a much bigger problem.

Mold grows in damp, moist areas of the home, such as showers, under a leaky sink, or most commonly a damp basement. A damp basement is most often caused by a problem with the foundation of your home.

A cracked foundation or a sump pump that can’t keep up are common problems that lead to a damp or leaking basement. These problems will require a trusted local basement waterproofing company. Give Best Waterproofing a call!

Learn more about household mold on the US Environmental Protection Agency’s website.